Extender plays a major role in expanding the coverage of the WiFi signal across a greater diameter covering the upper floor and garage. Linksys brings to us a universal extender that is compatible with routers of all brands. It runs on cross band technology which helps to maximize parallel usage of dual bands (both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) while beamforming emphasizes strengthening the Wi-Fi signal. This technology enables the extender to boost the network speed up to N300 + AC433 Mbps which is almost three times faster than N technology. If you want to play games on gaming consoles or run Smart TV using the Gigabit Ethernet port, then this extender is a must for you. It comes with two adjustable external antennas which make it best suited for multi-storied buildings with a single router.
Linksys Extender Setup Re6300
You need an active WiFi connection and the latest firmware in the extender for linksys re6300 extender setup. Plug-in the extender to a stable power source. Once the indicator blinks orange, setup starts. The following process may vary based on the firmware’s version.
- Connect the extender to a computer or mobile device using default SSID.
- Browse the link: “http://extender.linksys.com” or “192.168.1.1”.
- Use the wireless range extender option. Click Next.
- Select the Wi-Fi but make sure it’s of 2.4 GHz bandwidth.
- Wait till WiFi credentials appear or if the SSID is hidden, scroll down to enter the network name and password manually.
- Click Next. Now you have to configure the extended wireless network.
- Either continue with default settings or modify yourself.
- Click Next if the Spot Finder shows that the Linksys RE6300’s location is perfect. This decides the signal strength between the extender and the router.
- Change the default password to secure your connection.
- You will be prompted to register your product.
The Linksys RE6300 setup is available in two modes:
Wired Range Extender Access Point mode- which needs an Ethernet cable connected to the existing network.
Wireless Range Extender mode – If the extender is in Access Point mode, the top header will display Dual Band Wireless Access Point. If it is on Range Extender mode, the top header will show Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender.
You can switch modes from the Basic Settings.
Linksys re6300 login process
Browse the web UI setup of your range extender. You can log in the below-mentioned ways:
- Type extender.linksys.com in the Address bar.
- Type the range extender’s IP address.
If the extender is not yet configured, its default IP address will be 192.168.1.1. Once you configure, you need to check for the IP address in the DHCP lookup table
Linksys re6300 setup password
While accessing the extender’s setup page through web UI, you need to enter a password. By default, its “admin”. But it’s advised to set a customized password for better security.
Re6300 Firmware Upgrade
You should always have the latest firmware installed in your extender for advanced features and support. Upgrade the firmware in the following way:
- Log in to the re6300 setup page through the web UI using the credentials(if the password is not changed, then use “admin” else enter the password you have set).
- Click on Firmware Upgrade under Administration.
- You can opt for auto-update or manual update
Extender always looks for an update, if it’s available, click on the “Update now” button to start up-gradation. You can also mark the checkbox to update future firmware files automatically.
Select the firmware file which you downloaded before-hand, and open it. Make sure you have downloaded the file from the Linksys support product page only and not from any third-party website.
- Save the changes.
Linksys re6300 reset
In order to reset the device to factory settings, press and hold the Reset button on your extender for at least 5-10 seconds till the indicator starts blinking. Now you can access the setup page through the web UI.
Q1. I am unable to log on to the Linksys re6300 wireless range extender’s web-based setup page.
- Make sure the following criteria are met:
- Check if your device is connected to the same WiFi as the extender
- Check the indicator light.
iii. Restart the extender
- Reset the extender to factory settings.
Q2. How to place the antennas on Linksys re6300 range extender?
- Place one antenna on the ground floor near the router. Place the other antenna near the extender where the WiFi signal is weak and booster is required. These fixed antennas can rotate at 180 degrees only.
Q3. What to do if I face intermittent connection issues?
- Make sure that the extender is receiving half of the router’s original Wi-Fi signal and is placed in between the router and the dead zone. Check the extender’s status through the web-based setup page as follows:
Status > WLAN Statistics > Signal Strength
Q4. How can I locate the MAC address of my Linksys RE6300 to add to my MAC filtering list?
- In web UI setup page choose WLAN Statistics from Status. Use the MAC address labeled Seen by Upstream AP if the device is on Range Extender mode. If it is in Access Point mode, you can skip adding the MAC address. For an Ethernet connection, use the MAC address printed at the back of the extender.
Q5. What is the maximum speed obtained through this extender?
- The maximum speed achieved for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band is 300 Mbps and 433 Mbps respectively
- Is my data secure with this extender?
- Your data is 100% secure with Linksys RE6300 in both of its modes:
- If it’s in access point mode, WPA2™ Personal and WPA2/WPA™ Mixed Mode is enabled.
- While in range extender mode, WPA2 Personal, WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode, and WEP is enabled