Polished concrete floors are eye-appealing and look aesthetically better than plain cemented floors. Their mellifluous surface is made by the immense mechanical process of grinding and polishing with the help of permeable chemicals to provide lustrous textures. The sheen of the floor is not due to the wax-flooring material, but it is due to the rigorous machine work that gives superior viability of concrete. Let’s know more about these types of flooring options.
Where Can the Polished Concrete Be Used
These are the most common places where polished concrete floor can be installed:
- Retail stores
- Office buildings
- Car showrooms
- Large outlets
- Private residences, etc.
Preservation of Polished Concrete Floors
Polished cement floors are significantly durable throughout the lifetime and they also require routine maintenance to upkeep the sheen. Due to their extreme viability, one should not worry about their preservation. These types of floors are more sustainable than other decorative floor options out there. Only routine maintenance keeps these floors free from any dust, such as regular sweeping and mopping.
Enhanced Safety with Polished Concrete Floors
Polished concrete floor may look sleek and shiny, but it is safe to walk on if kept dry and clean. These floors have better anti-slip properties than the polished marble and waxed linoleum. However, safety is the utmost priority, and there are some tips illustrated below to enhance their slip-resistivity:
- Go through routine cleaning and maintenance to preserve its glossiness and remove stains
- Keep the polished concrete floor free from any oily substances
- Wipe off the spills as soon as they occur
- Use an anti-slip conditioner to promote traction and make wet floors safer. Due to the special additives present in the conditioner, durability of the floor also gets enhanced signifcantly.
- Application of sealer coat enhances the traction without losing its lustrous shine
Advantages of Polished Concrete Floors
When it comes to durability, everybody relies on these floors, whether you are a homeowner, an office owner, an educational institute or a medical store owner. These floors have innovative and decorative concrete which has become the logical choice due to the myriad value it delivers. It can also compete aesthetically with all of the other polished floors. Here are a few advantages associated with these floors:
- The concrete will help to lighten the space and make it appear bigger than it actually is
- The polished concrete floors are super easy to clean, as cracks do not easily develop to hide the dirt
- Get yourself free from any allergies, as allergens such as dirt and pollen cannot stick to the smooth and polished surface of such flooring
- Higher viability of polished floors can endure the robust treatment and still look shinier for years
- It is easily customizable due to the upliftment of the technology
Drawbacks of Polished Concrete
- Concrete floor gets too cold in the winter season and too hot in the summer season, due to which you cannot walk barefoot on it
- Polished floor seems cheap at first, but as you go on to add more features and finishes on it, it may cost you more
Cost of Polished Concrete Flooring
The cost of polished concrete varies by square footage, design options, the complexities of the project, and many more factors. The current rate of polished concrete is between $50 – $65 per square meter. Usually, the residential cost of polished concrete would be higher than the commercial one due to the compact spaces and smaller equipment.
Overall, the polished concrete floors are more durable than any other floors out there. Despite the drawbacks, polished concrete floors will enhance the aesthetics of your home. So, it is quite overwhelming and not that much extravagant.