Recruitment is one of the most important aspects of any organisation. It means finding the best-fit candidate for any job in the organisation. With the changing time, the recruitment process has also undergone a major change. It is no longer the same as it used to be way before. A various number of tests and other criteria have been included to find the perfect talent for the organisation. The process includes several tests such as aptitude test, personality test, integrity test, cognitive ability test, physical ability test, emotional intelligence test, job knowledge test and psychometric test for recruitment. The recruitment process consists of certain steps to be followed by every organisation. The tests are included at various stages of the process. It helps to eliminate undesirable candidates and target the best fit candidate for the job. Nowadays, psychometric tests are becoming very common amongst the entire test. More and more organisations have made them an integral part of the recruitment process. These help to correctly identify and analyse the characteristics of the candidate applying for the job. The employer can get much information about the candidate in a short span of time. These highlights the skills and ability of the candidate apart from the general education and experience of the candidate. These also have a good impact on the selected candidates as these lead to greater job satisfaction of the employees. Here are some of the benefits of conducting psychometric tests during the recruitment process:
- Helps to assess key traits of a candidate’s personality: The psychometric test assesses the four main key traits of the human personality. These help to provide much-required information about the candidate. These include the positive personality traits, motivation, values and preferences of the candidate, dark personality traits and the cognitive ability of the candidates. These are very much useful as these provide the insights that how will the employee perform and behave in the organisation. These analyses both the positive and negative aspects of the candidate. Psychometric test help to understand the workplace behaviour of the employee. It finds suitable candidates who are likely to perform very well in the organisation.
- Helps to build efficient skilled teams: The recruitment process is all about choosing the most suitable candidate and undergoing such test further adds on to the advantage for the organisation. It helps to hire the right candidate, develops the selected candidate and makes them better future leaders. The hiring can be done through campus or off-campus hiring, lateral hiring or leadership hiring. The development stage includes identification of various needs and imparting such training to the candidates. This prepares the organisation for succession planning as well as leadership development.
- Helps to find the most suitable candidates for the organisation: These test analyses the various skill sets and abilities of the candidates. Therefore, these help to select the best fitting candidates for the organisation. They are identified based on their behaviour and characteristics and ability to perform under different situations in the organisation. This also helps in better employee engagement and reduces attrition.
- Saves time and money: The initial cost of introducing the psychometric test may be high but these are helpful in the long run. This helps to save a lot of time, effort and money in the further stages of the recruitment process. The manager could call only the most suitable candidates for the interview process. This further increases the efficiency and productivity of the organisation.
- Suitable for all kinds of organisation: These psychometric tests are not only restricted to the small or big organisation but can be used by all kinds of organisation. The size or nature of the organisation does not matter. These can be used by all the organisations who want to conduct the psychometric test of the candidates.
- Helpful in conducting interviews: The traditional recruitment process was mainly concerned about the interview. Psychometric test not only considers interviews but personality characteristics of the individual as well. Many times a candidate may pass a psychometric test and fail in the interview and vice versa. So, this can’t be the sole reason to reject the candidate. Thus, this test gives greater information and insight about the candidate and chooses the best one after analysing all the related aspects.
- Promotes consistency in the recruitment process: These test help to maintain consistency and standardisation in the recruitment process. All the candidates applying for the job have to undergo a similar test. These also help the recruiters to select the best candidate out of all the applicants. This saves a lot of time of the recruiters in the further stages of the recruitment process. Apart from education and experience, it helps to measure the candidate’s skills and competencies as compared to the other candidates.
- Helps to build a competency-based model: The psychometric test uses psychometric psychology to build competency-based models. These models have various benefits. These help to achieve excellence in performance management unifies the corporate culture with business units, augments the recruitment process and helps to focus on employee development.
The psychometric test for any organisation is built after thorough research and development. These tests are developed once and can be used by the organisation for a longer period of time. These are aligned with the various psychometric theories such as the big five model, iceberg theory, progressive matrices and other. Various service providers undergo deep psychometric research and help the organization build such a test. These are of very significant use to every organisation irrespective of their nature or size. The recruitment is one of the major processes of the organization and should be conducted with the utmost care and responsibility. These tests further add to the process as these select the most suitable candidates who should proceed to the next stages of the process. The managers are more quickly opting for these tests as these are very helpful for the organisations in the long run. The organisation should look out for such option in order to maximise their productivity and efficiency in long run.