Kidney cancer is one of the most common kinds of cancer found worldwide. It begins with the rapid and uncontrollable multiplication of the cells present within the kidneys, which together form a mass or tumor. If left undiagnosed, it can later spread to other body parts like lungs and bones. No such cause is known yet, but there are many risk factors like smoking, genetics, obesity, etc. which can increase one’s odds of suffering from it.
KIDNEY CANCER SYMPTOMS
Everyone needs to know and recognize the symptoms of Kidney cancer, especially if they have a family history of cancer. See the full list of kidney cancer symptoms below.
- Formation of mass or lump in either side of your lower abdomen
- Blood in coughs
- Abnormal weight loss accompanied by loss of hunger
- Prolonged fatigue or extreme tiredness
- Presence of blood in your urine
- Shortness of breath
- Swollen legs or ankles
- Fever which is not related to a cold or any infection and lasts for more than 1-2 weeks
- Pain in abdomen or side
- Pain in bones
If you have any of these symptoms, it is advisable to consult a doctor from the best cancer hospital in Bangalore or even India.
HOW IS KIDNEY CANCER DIAGNOSED?
There are many ways in which kidney cancer can be diagnosed. First of all, the doctor will conduct a physical examination. If the results point towards the possibility of kidney cancer, the following are some tests which you might be required to undergo:
- Urine Tests: checks for the presence of blood in your urine or any other abnormality
- Blood Tests: monitors the proper functioning of your kidneys
- Ultrasounds: finds out if the tumor is solid or liquid-filled
- Intravenous Pyelogram (IVP): In this procedure, the doctor will inject a dye into your body which will detect the presence of any tumors in the X-rays.
- CT Scans: With the help of this technology, a doctor can quickly identify the presence of the tumor as well as its nature in one go.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI): It is another technology that is more precise and helpful in finding tumors that might go undetected in CT scans.
- Renal Arteriogram: This procedure is preferred to check if blood is being supplied to the tumor, thereby aiding to find out tiny tumors.
- Biopsy: By removing a small tissue from the affected area and checking it under the microscope, not only the earlier diagnosis can be verified, but also the stage or the aggressiveness of the cancer be known.
Be it the best cancer hospital in Bangalore or India, there are many treatment options available for kidney cancer, depending upon the health condition of the patient and stage of the tumour itself:
There are two types of surgery:
- Nephrectomy: Removal of the entire kidney affected with cancer
- Partial Nephrectomy: Removal of the affected area in the kidney
Injection of cooled gas helps in freezing the cancerous cells.
- Radiofrequency Ablation
Opposite of cryoablation, the cancerous cells are burnt down by passing electrical currents through them.
- Biological Therapy
It focuses on strengthening your immune system to fight cancer by inducing synthetic drugs.
- Targeted Therapy
It includes the introduction of specific drugs into your body which might block or kill certain signals or factors responsible for the growth of cancerous cells.
- Radiation Therapy
The use of radiation like X-rays kills the cells promoting cancer and helps to control the spread in the body.
Kidney cancer, if diagnosed at an early stage, can be cured easily, with less aggressive treatments. Therefore, it is necessary to recognize the symptoms when they show up. Consult a good oncologist if doubtful and take great care of yourself!