What is a wifi extender?
In simple words, A wifi extender, range extender, wifi booster is a device that extends the coverage area of your wifi.
How does an extender work?
It acts as a medium that first receives data from the wifi and regenerates data in the dead zones (the place where the wifi data seems to be unreachable) of your house.
What is mywifiext.local?
Mywifiext local is a web page for mywifiext net login or setup. It is a local web address used to open the settings of your extender.
Here, you can access your Netgear wifi extender arrangement.
The main goal of this website is to help the customers configure their wireless extender. The user can also set up his extender using mywifiext.net login page.
How to set up a Netgear extender using mywifiext.local?
You can set up most of the Netgear extenders using the following steps:
- Plugin your extender and the power led lights. Note: If the led doesn’t light, click on the power or on/off button.
- Connect the extender’s wifi network to your mobile device or computer. The default name of your extender’s network is ‘NETGEAR_EXT’.Even If your device warns you about not having internet, keep the wifi connection.
- Open a web browser and enter the URL mywifiext.net local. A new set up page will appear.
- Click on New extender setup option. Click on I agree/yes if you are shown to accept terms and conditions.
- Select your extender’s admin credentials. Note: Extender’s admin credentials are used for accessing the extender’s setting on a browser. You can leave the default username as ‘admin’ and choose a strong password that is different from your wifi password.
- Select the drop-down menus and answer two questions you select. ( these question ls will be used to recover your extender’s user credentials in a situation where you forgot them)
- Click on Next, If there is an option asking if you would like to use the NETGEAR Genie to help, you can either click on ‘yes’ or ‘continue’ to move to the next page. Now your extender will begin to search for nearby wifi connections.
- Edit the radio buttons for your network’s 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi network names and click on Next. Note: In case you do not see your network names, click on ‘See more’ to have the information.
- Enter your current network’s password and click on Next.
- Choose the name of your network and password for your extender and click on Netgear Extender. Note: By default, the extender uses your current network name with _2GEXT and _5GEXT for 2.4GHz and 5GHz band respectively and the password will be the same as your current network password.
An optional point
For a mesh extender that is offered by NETGEAR, you have the option to use the same name and password of your extender as of your wifi network.
Select the ‘Enable one wifi name checkbox’ to enable it. You can only enable it if your extender supports the option.
- The extender pertains to your settings in a few minutes.
- Go to the wifi setting of the device you want to connect with your extender and connect it with the extender’s network.
- Click on the checkbox option at the bottom of the website in your web browser and click on continue.
Some times, when you try to connect/access the website http://www.mywifiext.net/ to set up your wifi extender, you may receive an error message and you will be unable to access that site.
This occurs because http://www.mywifiext.net/ is not a constantly used internet website. As we mentioned above, it is a local web address used to open the Netgear extender setup.
What to do if it doesn’t get access?
- To troubleshoot issues connecting to mywifiext.net:
- You just have to either connect your device physically to Ethernet or wirelessly to your Netgear extender to access the web address.
- Bring your wifi range extender into the same room where the wireless router is placed(you may move the extender to another place once the setup is complete)
- Make sure that the power led lights(If means the extender is connected to a power source)
- In the address bar of your web browser, enter the default IP address of the extender:192.168.1.250. If you are still not able to access your extender, reset the browser you are using and try again.
- Use a different browser to make sure that the issue is not browser-related.
Two recommended browsers that are free and available for major operating systems are Mozilla Firefox and Google chrome. If you still cannot access your extender, contact the Netgear support to discuss your problems with an expert. NOTE: NETGEAR will never request money to allow you to use a NETGEAR product that you are using after purchase.